Been two days sitting at home creating a website, I don’t mind to see the sun today. It was already hot when I stood by the road waving to taxis. I am picky, they are pickier. I have become master of quick selecting passing taxis because the majority taxis around are… not so good. And many of the good ones are taken! Like many things else in life.
Some did not show interest, maybe they had other appointment. One refused knowing where I was heading to. Diliman is about an hour from Makati. I got in one finally and I could not be pickier, it’s getting hot outside. I sipped carton milk while observing the cabin. The driver was nice to help me lock all doors manually. I checked the handle for winding the windows. It looked work! Being a Jakartan and now in other metropolitan, I’m alert to signs.
Taxis in Manila are generally clean. Only busy inside! Today I sat next to a thin pillow with Winnie-the-Pooh cover. Rosario and other religious beads are usually hung on the rear-view mirror like a shrine itself. On top of that, the furry-like dashboard cover often makes me feel sweaty. And today I enjoyed the bright red dashboard frame! Apart from the usual water bottle, today I also spotted a razor. There’s always something to observe.
I observe, the taxi driver observes (me). The first 10 minutes at least, often I can feel the driver observing me discreetly from the rear-view mirror. Familiar look, unfamiliar accent. Where's she from? Chatty drivers may ask quite instantly. Aloof drivers wait till I start a conversation, if ever, or give direction. Drivers with little English will keep observing and hardly ever ask. It becomes part of my game. I ask them to guess if they ask rather than give them a direct answer. Today, the driver’s first guess was… China. Rarely I came from China! But okay, it’s still better than the usual Thailand. For a change…
My friend I knew at the museology training last April took me to the Open University office in the campus of an old university in the Philippines. I was interested to know about the program since I could not access it on their website. We stopped by the lobby where the office is to enjoy artworks made from recycled computers. Recycled stuff always have a place in my heart so I took my time to do the art tour.
Gathered all the information from the office, we walked the campus. My friend asked if I’m interested to try riding the famous jeepney. More than happy! I’d been trying to do but hardly had a chance! It’s a really nice long car with low ceiling that walking inside bending is quite an art. We were off at a museum inside the campus. An important museum named after a major of Manila, the university graduate, who donated his collection to the university. The painting collection is interesting, many are from the 18th century. Realism to postmodern. We were lucky to have an official guide took us around. I enjoyed the mix in the collection. It has inspired me!
We ended our meeting in the museum café outside the building. It’s non-aircon but popular among the students because of the wireless connection is good and free. I realized not many places in this city have free wifi. We need voucher. In the university, the signal is weak, my friend who teaches in the university told me. So this simple and modern café turns into a get-together place. I enjoyed sitting in the heat because the view is green. So green that the color covers the whole screen when I took picture of benches under the trees.
I shall visit the campus again next time! As student already, maybe?
The green.