Kamis, 17 Juni 2010


I’m satisfied with artworks I finished today. I worked on the two frames I bought yesterday that again I canceled my plan to buy stones for necklaces. I was so into it that I only showered in the afternoon. In average, it took about 5-6 hours per artwork. But the last one I’m still working now may take longer. It’s a box-frame and I’m going to work on the 3-dimensional part.

Creating artwork is like writing. It takes time to start because I need ‘the first sentence’ that can kick the rest of the work. For others, I might look empty when figuring out what theme I’m going to work on. Most of the time I didn’t have concept at all. I take time to browse a magazine then a theme will be formed bit by bit. The actual work is not long, only some alterations on the way need extra time.

I also took time during an artwork to browse the net. I’m curious to know what other artists have done. My collage or assemblage work apparently has its own style. Mine doesn’t remind people of other well-known work before. I really like the idea of incorporating found objects in the artwork. I got both passions in an artwork: for curios and for collage/assemblage.

The other day I went to see a friend’s art exhibition. He’s been creating assemblage for so long. His work is fresh, I like it. I kept thinking after I got back from the exhibition that actually if I want I can also create such. Like many have thought apparently, what it looks so simple needs aeon to create. Like I said, forming the theme is the backbone of the work and that takes the longest part in the process. So things are not just put together and I can call it an artwork. I’m planning to make a brief background of each artwork to make the soul more visible.

Before the day ends, I set up a blog for the works. This time I want to sell my creation. My old works are well hidden in the cabinet in the house in Jakarta. I’m not going to do the same anymore. I need a good measure of what I have done. By the way, a week has passed since I put my necklaces on sale in Jakarta, heard I had sold at least 18 pieces. I am so happy! My shop also made a good sale the other day. This has been happening for several times now that my business made better sales without me around. Yay!

My second artwork, “Travel Bug.”