Senin, 07 Juni 2010


Traveling from Malang is somewhat tiring. Emotionally for one, physically is relative. It’s not easy to be parted from nephew Dhana although we didn’t spend thick time together either. When I’m in Malang, we are just being in the same room with our own activities and only talking when we have something in mind. The trip was smooth but I just didn’t have energy when I got the house in Jakarta at noon.

I enjoyed my netbook so much. I had nice one-hour writing while waiting for my flight to leave. As often, I was a bit too early to get airport. I couldn’t predict well but I also like to be in airport early because we never know what may happen.

My dermatologist I saw in the evening made my day. I have been her patient almost a decade. She introduced me to a good skin care product from Paris I still use till today. I have very sensitive skin and I adore her approach. I feel like she can read my mind and look through my skin. Seems that we quite like each other. I stayed some 30 minutes chatting! About her being only child, her only son who is dermatologist himself, her 91 year old mother that had positive attitude at all times. Oh my! I believe we can sit for hours chatting about many things in life. I like her.

I have fixed some appointments to fill my two days in Jakarta. I look forward…

Here’s my piece from airport this morning.


Malang Airport: In Retrospect

There’s something cute about the airport in Malang. The easiest way to know how cute the airport is by the amount of airport tax we pay. It’s 0.6 cents compares to $4 in bigger airports in Jakarta and Bali. It has been years I use the airport actively and the tax has not changed. And more, the service is even cuter. All manual. At least the luggage handling. The weigh scale is one with hands, not digital! Porters help you putting the luggage on the scale then he shout the weight for the check-in officer keys in the computer. That’s in GA counter only, the other airline SJ uses totally manual service, even seat number on boarding pass is a tiny sticker with number like on cinema ticket on my childhood days, or handwritten. Through both counters, you can see your luggage moves from one person to other till it goes out the door in the back of small rectangular room where all the business are done. Isn’t it cute for the 21st century?

I don’t quite remember when it started using this military airport for commercial flights. If my memory does not fail me, it’s in the mid 1980s when I was still in the university. It was on and off for several times for several reasons like it took time for them to decide using the base for commercial purpose as well. Finally, after about mid 1990s, the airport keeps open for commercial flights. The complex is quite large with two rows of Art Deco houses for high-rank officers along the way to the airport. There are even a hospital and a gas station. It takes about 8 minutes from the gate with security inspection to the airport (yes, we cannot drive fast inside the complex).

The airport underwent many route trials. Malang – Jakarta route is regular since open. I heard it once had Malang – Denpasar on weekends but not in operation before I gave it a try. And when the mud volcano burst slowed Malang – Surabaya traffic, there was flight from Malang to Surabaya at $20 for must be less than half hour flying time. Also, I noticed flight to a city in Kalimantan sometime ago that I do not see the sign anymore. The airport holds less traffic since a few months ago because of damage on the runway. It was quite ambitious that the airport had three airlines flew in and out twice a day everyday so the tarmac worn out quick. Now it holds two airlines only with the same frequency, twice a day, or less?

My convenient 30-minute trip on Monday morning to the airport from home is sort of bonding back with my birth town. I forgot that trains are still in operation so when the taxi stopped for passing train, I interviewed the driver. The train to Surabaya becomes popular again after the mud volcano slows the traffic terribly. Train cuts half the traveling time at the cost of 0.4 cents! The train also goes west to some small towns near Malang: Tulungagung, Kediri, bla bla I don’t remember. I was daydreaming for a while wondering if I ever want to take the adventure of riding the train passing those small towns. Maybe if I find friends with similar idea?

I am now writing while watching passengers of GA from Jakarta disembarking. Yes, the gate is facing the runway so next-flight passengers can see all activities of that side. Malang is a small town that I can guarantee I'm familiar with at least one soul embarking or disembarking any flight in the airport. I just spotted a childhood friend, a few years junior in elementary school, walking to the terminal. A German, son of a missionary in Batu back in the 1970s, that has become a total arema (the famous football hooligan from Malang) after over 40 years living in the area. It’s cute!

The life of the airport, I mean.

See the cargo pushed by man power to the aircraft?

Malang, 7 June 2010 8:49 (GMT +7 hours)