Senin, 14 Juni 2010


The streets of Makati are so so quiet. Today is public holiday since the Independence Day fell on last Saturday. I’m a bit confused since some offices took the holiday on Friday! That then I do not know how public holiday works here. To safe energy in this temperature, I prefer to stay home since I’m not sure if businesses are open and if my friends are available to meet. In the neighborhood, at least, I didn’t see any life.

I could say because I made a walk anyway. I needed some kits for making artwork so I walked to the direction of an office-stuff warehouse that literally like a warehouse where it stocks stuff related to paper and craft for office and fun. Of course, only big fast food restaurant chains are open. I was a bit disappointed but glad I had a look myself.

My plan to try food at food stalls by the sidewalk did not materialize as well. Here we do not see gerobak (two-wheeler wooden-stalls pushed by food vendors) but more like moko (mobil-toko or car-cum-stall) in Jakarta. The stalls, that are bigger than the standard pickup, sit by the sidewalk and it has an opening on one side to arrange the food. The cover of the opening serves as long table where people can put their plates and eat while standing. From the look, my guess is the range of food is like food in warteg (warung Tegal or Javanese style food-stop) that serves homemade cooking. Heard that Pinoy cuisine is fatty and greasy therefore I haven’t taken the chance to taste further (Bangus fish is my favorite though). My observation, any good food is usually less healthy anyway so I do not mind tasting sometime.

These sidewalk food stalls cater office staffs around Makati, the business district. Similar to the idea of gerobak in narrow streets behind the office buildings in Jakarta, only these stalls look neater. Maybe because Makati does not have jalan tikus (literally rats way means narrow alleys) to hide not so nice view of the supporting life of the office buildings? Apart from big international and local restaurant chains and these food stalls, I also spotted openings in the wall of buildings that apparently are kitchens that serve take-out lunch, or whatever food is since I did not see any menu on the wall. People are standing in line waiting to be served. This kind of service I do not see in Jakarta is quite popular here!

It was hot outside. Roamed the neighborhood half hour, I melted. I plan to start making collage again with a whole new idea. But things do not move forward as I had wanted that reminds me of what Mama used to say. She observed, literate people declutter papers slower because they take time to read. I agree. I fire up my spirit by checking out art websites that link one to another. And when I start dealing with the real used magazines, I’m totally stuck! I’m reading!!

Now how to combine inquisitiveness and productivity?

Mangan has the same meaning as Javanese’s dining.